Sunday, 6 May 2012

Collapse!

The North Wall of Glasgow Cathedral ‘New’ Burial Ground ……
well, part of the North Wall!


The above photograph was taken on 5th May, 2012 and shows that possibly at least 30 lairs
in the burial ground are now buried underneath quite a few tons of rubble.

The stone enclosure seen on the left of the photograph is Lair N46
(The Graham or Maxwell-Graham’s Family enclosure).


The collapsed area is roughly indicated by the 2 red arrows on the above view.

Whether this wall has been in existence for the same length of time that the burial ground has
is unknown but it’s appearance matched that of all the other sandstone perimeter
and the three ‘internal’ walls which divide up the area.


The purchase of lairs in this north section date back to as early as 1801 – 210 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment